3rd-5th grade students will apply MyPlate to plan healthy nutrition and fitness.
1. How can MyPlate be used to help plan healthy meals and activities?
2. How can I make healthier choices and add physical activity to my daily routine?
MaterialsMonster Health Book
Books to use for research
My Plate poster or information sheet
Costumes and props as needed
Fruits and vegetables activity-see attached. 15-20min
Begin reading the Monster Health Book-When convenient on your schedule
Students choose a healthy food from My Plate to research. Possible ideas- food history, facts about the food, nutritional value, research poultry (chicken or turkey), beef, lamb, fish industries from farm to table, etc.
Adjective/Adverb activity-see attached. Using notes gathered from research write a poem on your chosen food. Some suggestions are persona, shape, haiku, acrostic, or free verse poems.
Act out the created poem i.e. gestures, sounds, physically become the fruit, vegetable, plant or animal.
Differentiation Approaches1. Modeling
2. Partner/group work
3. Pre-made rubrics
5. Graphic organizers
Assessment1. KWL chart and rubric for research
2. Checklist for poem, critiques and reflections
4. Student portfolio of all work
Follow Up and Extension Ideas1. Field trips
3. Informance in classroom
4. One Book, One School performance
5. Create an original art piece on healthy food
Write an opinion letter or a public service announcement (commercial) promoting the healthy food that was researched
6. Debate on which food is better
7. Have tasting days for healthy foods
- Grade Level: Fifth, First, Fourth, Kindergarten, Pre-K, Second, Third
- Arts Content Area: Theatre Arts
- Non-Arts Content Area: English Language Arts