MaterialsCD- The Planets, by Holst
Paper and pencil
Anchor Chart describing the features of each planet, from student input
Poster of all the planets comparing their sizes (National Geographic)
Musical Instruments (Un-pitched and Pitched)
Collaboration Role Cards
1. Listen and move to each piece in “The Planets”.
2. Create Anchor Chart on the characteristics of each planet using music vocabulary words including dynamic levels, tempo, and articulation words.
1. Using the music vocabulary and effective word choice, students in small groups will describe their own object in the sky on paper. They may sketch to enhance their word choices.
2. Using musical instruments, create short rhythmic and melodic patterns that represent their object in the sky.
Continue revising and polishing their musical interpretations.
Perform musical soundscapes as an informance.
Differentiation Approaches1. Collaborative learning
2. Using multiple intelligences to enhance learning
3. Add a drawing to represent their piece and help in the writing process.
Assessment1. Videotape of the Informance
2. PQP- Praise, Question, and a Polish (Peer Review)
3. Self Reflection (What was your contribution?)
4. Collaboration Role Cards
Follow Up and Extension Ideas1. Students can create a visual arts piece using a variety of media to depict their object in the sky.
2. Students can write a poem using various literary elements such as onomatopoeia
3. Students can create a Secret Room Pop up books.