News and Announcements
United Arts Council of Raleigh & Wake County is looking for a Visiting Artist in the area of Technical Theater Design: Costume, Scenic, Sound and/or Lighting. This artist residency will run from August, 2018-May 2019 and be based in the artistically rich community of Raleigh, North Carolina. The application opens March 8, 2018 and is due April 9, 2018.
Program Mission and Overview
The Visiting Artist will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the artistic landscape through creative, skillful collaboration on productions by local professional and community theaters. The artist will interact with the community through workshops, classes, and presentations and (when appropriate) exhibitions. United Arts will facilitate a collaborative relationship between the Visiting Artist and the local arts community to complete program activities (below).
During the residency in Raleigh as the Visiting Artist, you will have the opportunity to do the following in consultation with United Arts:
• Provide original designs for a minimum of six (6) local stage productions through creative collaboration and participation in productions by professional and community theater groups.
• Encourage knowledge of technical theater skills for all age groups by offering at least four (4) workshops in educational settings like high schools, local theater companies, etc.
• Create and lead at least four classes/workshops in your area of specialty, open to the public
• Propose and execute a minimum of four (4) original activities to bring attention to stage and performance design in less traditional settings ( for example, create designs for festivals, banquets, pageants, etc.)
• Make public presentations where appropriate
• Suggest future projects to inspire public engagement and support of stage arts
• Provide other instructional opportunities when available.
The Visiting Artist will be selected by a panel appointed by United Arts Council. Upon review of all applications, the finalist(s) will contacted for an interview. Applicants will be notified by April 30, 2018. Announcement of the selected candidate will be made in May, 2018, and the Visiting Artist appointment will run from August, 2018 –May, 2019.
Visiting Artist Profile
The Visiting Artist must be 18 years of age or older, currently live outside Wake County, and hold a BFA (MFA preferred) in his/her discipline. Candidates should plan to reside in Wake County for the duration of the appointment as Visiting Artist.
Technical theater design candidates will demonstrate:
- Exemplary skills in lighting, scenic and/or sound design
- Solid body of production work
- Comfort working with a range of professional/community/academic theater companies with different spaces and needs
- Some experience with teaching and public presentation
- Ability and willingness to travel to municipalities within Wake County (NC) for scheduled production meetings, rehearsals, workshops, teaching engagements and other public events.
The Visiting Artist will receive an annual stipend of $42,000, be recognized at various area events and receive media coverage related to the Visiting Artist program.
The following must be electronically submitted by April 9, 2018:
- Completed application form
- Letter of interest (1-2 pages) detailing how you would contribute as the Visiting Artist, based on the position description and the goals of the program
- Photos or short videos (8-10) of work completed in the last four years
- Resume/CV not to exceed 3 pages, with an emphasis on areas of technical theater experience
- Contact information for two (2) references
- Two (2) critical reviews of work (optional).
United Arts Council reserves the right to ask for additional information as needed.
For more information, contact Brandi Neuwirth at email@example.com or (919) 839-1498, ext. 205.