News and Announcements
The application process for the position of Wake County Visiting Artist for 2018 is open! Applications for the position are due November 3, 2017 (link at bottom of page). The Visiting Artist 2018 will feature a background in technical theater design. The application process is open to all designers who meet the guideline criteria.
Program Mission and Overview
The Wake County Visiting Artist program is dedicated to bringing art to the community, enriching the lives of all our citizens. One artist, from a different discipline each year, is invited to reside and work in Raleigh/Wake County. This artist will make a significant contribution to the artistic landscape through creative, skillful collaboration on productions by local arts and cultural agencies. In addition, the artist will interact with the community through workshops, classes, and presentations and (when appropriate) exhibitions. United Arts will facilitate a collaborative relationship between the visiting artist and the local arts community to meet program expectations (see below). United Arts will provide support to the visiting artist for scheduling events and engagements.
Program Expectations 2018
In 2018, the Visiting Artist will offer the following activities in Wake County in consultation with United Arts:
- Provide original designs for a minimum of six (6) local stage productions through creative collaboration and participation in productions by professional and community theater groups.
- Encourage knowledge of technical theater skills for all age groups by offering at least four (4) workshops in high schools or through other types of instructional formats (in high schools, local theater companies, etc.)
- Teach at least four (4) classes/workshops open to the public
- Propose and execute a minimum of four (4) original activities to bring attention to stage and performance design in less traditional settings (festivals, banquets, pageants, etc.)
- Make public presentations where appropriate
- Suggest future projects to inspire public engagement and support of theater arts
- Provide other instructional opportunities when available
The Visiting Artist will be selected by a panel appointed by United Arts Council. Upon review of all applications, the finalist(s) will contacted for an interview. Applicants will be notified by December 1. Announcement of the candidate selected will be made in early January 2018, and the Visiting Artist appointment will run from January 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018.
Visiting Artist Profile
The Visiting Artist must be 18 years of age or older, currently live outside Wake County, and hold a master’s degree in his/her discipline. Candidates should plan to reside in Wake County for the duration of the appointment as Visiting Artist.
Technical theater design candidates will demonstrate:
- Exemplary skills in lighting, scenic and/or sound design
- Solid body of production work
- Comfort working with a range of professional/community/academic theater companies with different spaces and needs
- Some experience with teaching and public presentation
- Ability and willingness to travel to municipalities within Wake County (NC) for scheduled production meetings, rehearsals, workshops, teaching engagements and other public events.
The Visiting Artist will receive an annual stipend of $42,000, be recognized at various area events and receive media coverage related to the Visiting Artist program.
The following must be digitally submitted by November 3, 2017.
- Completed application form
- Letter of interest (1-2 pages) detailing how you would contribute as the Visiting Artist, based on the position description and the goals of the program
- Photos or short videos (8-10) of work completed in the last four years
- Resume/CV not to exceed 3 pages, with an emphasis on areas of technical theater experience
- Two (2) letters of support; and
- Two (2) critical reviews of work (optional).
United Arts Council reserves the right to ask for additional information as needed.
For more information, contact Brandi Neuwirth at email@example.com or (919) 839-1498, ext. 205.